The sale of donated vehicles supports Goodwill’s efforts to put Kentuckians on the road to success. Goodwill Cars to Work connects Kentuckians with affordable transportation so they can maintain employment, grow in their careers, and ultimately move out of poverty and achieve self-sufficiency. Participants must be referred to Goodwill by a partnering agency and meet the requirements outlined below. For more information about obtaining a vehicle through Goodwill Cars to Work, contact (502) 585-5221 or toll-free 1-844-GWK-WORK (1-844-495-9675).
Goodwill Cars to Work has partnered with Oxmoor Auto Group, Apprisen, and Park Community Credit Union to break down transportation barriers.
Oxmoor Auto group is helping pre-approved Cars to Work participants purchase a vehicle by directing them to options that best fit their needs, working within budgets, and providing education on the car-buying process.
All Cars to Work participants are required to participate in services provided by Apprisen. Each participant will complete a Financial Foundations Workshop, Credit Health Review, and 6 months of Financial Coaching. These services address major barriers to productive employment, including transportation and financial stress.
Park Community Credit Union has also partnered with Goodwill to administer the program loans and provide education to participants on the lending process.
- Valid Kentucky driver’s license (must match current address and Social Security card)
- Resident of Kentucky (please note, we do not currently serve residents of Boone, Boyd, Caldwell, Campbell, Carter, Crittenden, Daviess, Greenup, Henderson, Hopkins, Kenton, Lawrence, Lewis, Martin, McClean, Union, and Webster counties)
- Actively employed, with at least three (3) months of paystubs from your current employer
- Must be working at least 30 hours per week. Less hours may be accepted for those receiving some form of social security.
- Actively receiving case management services
- Confirmation of at least three (3) months of on-time payments for rent and all utilities
- Confirmation of residing at current address for at least 90 days
- Confirmation of $500.00 in savings
- Willingness to complete a credit review with Goodwill staff or partnering agency
- Ability to afford recurring costs:
- Monthly vehicle payment
- State-required vehicle insurance
- General maintenance and repairs
- Taxes and registration for the vehicle
Applications may be disqualified if the above requirements are not met. Additional reasons for disqualification may include:
- Vehicle repossession within the last two (2) years
- Active vehicle loan
- Active bankruptcy
- Failure to respond to requests by the deadline
- Omitting or misrepresenting any facts throughout the process
After graduating from law school in China, Bobby moved to the United States, where he was hired at Horseshoe Casino as the VIP Multicultural Hospitality Host. Without a vehicle, Bobby’s friends and co-workers helped him get to and from work. The Office of the Blind assisted Bobby in obtaining a bioptic driving telescope for his glasses and referred him to Goodwill Cars to Work in 2017. Katie Ramser, Goodwill Cars to Work career coach, helped connect Bobby with an affordable vehicle and a one-year loan. After making all payments on time, Bobby paid off his loan in October 2017 and the interest he paid was reimbursed to him.
“Bobby has been wonderful to work to with and is an extremely positive person,” said Katie. “He’s constantly telling me how much he loves the program and how happy he is with his vehicle.”
Bobby added, “This program is better than the best. Any positive words you can think of, I would say them. This program gives people like me a start. The start is important because we aren’t in a position to purchase a new vehicle, so we seek help. I am so glad we have programs to help those in need.”