A program of Goodwill Industries of Kentucky, Inc., Goodwill Cars to Work was launched in 2012 to offer affordable transportation to Kentuckians with disabilities or other barriers to employment.
Transportation is among the top three barriers to people’s ability to find and maintain employment, alongside childcare and lack of training.
Through Cars to Work, Goodwill Industries of Kentucky has a nonprofit auto dealer license to provide affordable options for people who lack reliable transportation for getting to work, particularly in rural areas.
For low-wage earners, lack of transportation is a significant challenge in finding and maintaining a job. Cars to Work participants are not only better positioned to succeed in the workplace and maintain stable employment, but they also have the opportunity to improve their quality of life. Cars to Work enables participants to secure higher-paying jobs, work flexible hours, achieve self-sufficiency, alleviate stress, and build credit ratings. In its first full year of operation, Cars to Work helped more than 100 families purchase a vehicle and get on the road to success.
Qualifying Cars to Work participants:
- Must be referred by social service partners or government agencies
- Have the opportunity to purchase a dependable vehicle at approximately 20 percent below the fair market value
- Purchase vehicles that are under warranty for major repairs for the duration of a 24 month refundable-interest loan
- Must have a $250 down payment
- Make monthly payments on a refundable-interest loan
- Receive financial counseling as they budget for the operation and maintenance of their vehicle